Monday 26 July 2010

Butterfly guided walk


I had a fab day yesterday. I led my first butterfly guided walk! The weather was looking a bit iffy but it turned into a really sunny afternoon and eight lovely people turned up. Some of them were butterfly beginners, some of them really knew their stuff, but they all seemed to enjoy the walk.


I explained a bit about butterflies in general then we caught a few to have a close look at. I managed to net a ringlet, meadow brown, small white, green veined white, common blue, small copper and a grayling. We also saw lots of large whites and six-spot burnet moths but unfortunately no northern brown argus. You can't have everything I guess. The highlight was a bramble bush that we came across near the end, which was absolutely teeming with butterflies including at least five or six small tortoiseshells!


I am leading another one on Sunday 1st August 1.30-4.30pm. The walk is weather dependent so booking is essential (0844 493 2256). Under 16s must be accompanied by an adult. Please wear suitable clothing and footwear. Meeting outside the visitor centre. Adults:£3 Children: £2


Hopefully see you there!


Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment