Sunday 1 August 2010

So, it's the 1st of August today. Wow - I can't believe how fast this year has gone already! It seems like just a few months ago I was moving to Scotland with a van full of belongings and getting snowed in. Now I have been in post for 7 months, and I feel like I have achieved quite a lot in that time, as well as moving 450 miles and starting a new job. Anyway enough about me, you want to find out what's been going on at St Abbs!

Well I've been busy attending lots of festivals with the mobile information trailer - Coldingham last week and St Abbs yesterday. Both very successful events, and everyone I spoke to seemed to enjoy the rockpool display and making herring kites. I was assisted by 2 volunteers, Elaine and Holly, who were fantastic at showing people the crabs and starfish. In the photo we have Elaine and a rapt audience of onlookers around the rockpool aquarium.

The St Abbs Gala was visited by a special boat, Reaper, the last surviving sailing herring drifter of the 'Fifie' type, the most popular design of fishing boat of the east coast of Scotland during the 19th and 20th centuries. She is a 70ft long vessel, first registered in Fraserburgh in 1902, and fished extensively in Shetland and used in the south of England during the war years. She was restored in 1975 to her original rig of 1902 and can be visited at the Scottish Fisheries Museum in Anstruther. Her visit to St Abbs was to coincide with the Gala day which is a fundraising event for the St Abbs lifeboat, and visitors were treated when the Eyemouth fishing choir performed a few songs on her deck.

Off for a Seashore Safari now, then lots of organising to do for the annual underwater photography event, the Splash In, which I'll explain more in my next post, and lots of fundraising to do. There's never a dull moment!

Georgia.

No comments:

Post a Comment